Why participate in an internship?
In a 2011 survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), 86% of surveyed companies claimed that they use internships to recruit college students for future employment. According to the same survey, 39% of new hires came from within internship programs and almost 67% of interns were offered full-time jobs at the completion of their internships.
Some of the benefits of internships for employers include:
- Free recruiting tool for new talented people
- Lower costs as internships are either unpaid or paid at a lower level than staff
- Get special projects done when there is a lack of resources
- Dress rehearsal for solid workers looking for full-time employment
- Valuable asset bringing young fresh perspective into the business
- Inexpensive way to train a future new employee
- No cost for benefits, and if the student does not work out there are no severance costs
- If a small business, create connections and reputation in the community
- At ease with social media and many businesses are unfamiliar with how this works
- They create their own footprint, bring positive energy, and focus on succeeding in their first try in the "real world"
- Young minds learn quickly and they are not bogged down with "this is how it’s done here"
Some recent articles on the benefits of internships from Forbes, eHow, CareerBuilder, and US News for you to review: