Director of Athletics
Post University is currently accepting applications for the role of Director of Athletics.
The Director of Athletics provides administrative direction and oversight for all athletics staff, programs, facilities and activities and coaches. The director is responsible for ensuring compliance with all federal, divisional and university athletics regulations, administering departmental funds and accounts in a fiscally responsible manner and sustaining a culture of sportsmanship, professionalism and respect at all levels. The director collaborates with student administrative offices and admissions on the recruitment and retention of student athletes. You will also collaborate with university affairs, the media on publicity, and reporting of athletic events and results. Frequent nights and week-end work and in-season travel required.
- Provide administrative direction and oversight for all athletics programs and activities; Develop, lead and supervise full and part-time athletics staff including shared responsibility for hiring, disciplining or firing decisions and full responsibility for training, mentoring, and evaluating coaches and athletics staff;
- Monitor strict observances of equality of opportunity in men’s and women’s athletics by keeping informed of legal requirements and consulting with university staff regarding compliance with the law; Initiate and coordinate the certification of academic and health eligibility of all athletes; Collaborate with University relations in the preparation of press releases and the arrangement of media coverage for athletic events, and insure that the appropriate media is informed of the results of all athletic events;
- Provide leadership and sound decision-making with regard to all athletic department matters, including fiscal affairs, personnel, strategic planning, facilities, public relations, and general operations; Provide leadership to ensure that the Athletics Department has a highly competent and diverse coaching, administrative, and support staff consistent with the mission of Post University
- Provide leadership that adheres to the highest standards of integrity in academic, financial, and business matters, as well as NCAA rules and regulations; Maintain appropriate athletic department policies, procedures, and practices, and ensuring consistency with all University policies, Board of Trustees and other regulations that govern the University, NCAA rules and certification requirements, and all state and federal laws, including Title IX
- Ensure an environment that promotes student-athlete health and welfare and a commitment to strong academic values
- Maintain active participation in University, conference, and NCAA planning systems and professional development opportunities; Develop and manage departmental, team, and special events budgets; order equipment; and ensure departmental compliance with all University cash handling and management policies;
- Collect and analyze departmental statistics and data and prepare and distribute reports as appropriate; Recruit student athletes in coordination with the Admissions Office and develop alumni athletics events, community relationships, and fun-raising opportunities;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of 5 years of progressive administrative and coaching experience.
- Demonstrate commitment to NCAA Division II guidelines and regulations; Understanding of and commitment to the NCAA’s primary purpose of maintaining intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the educational program and the athlete as an integral part of the student body
- Demonstrated success working in intercollegiate athletics or highly related field; Ability to recruit and hire outstanding coaches and staff; Ability to demonstrate a commitment to inclusion, community, diversity, and gender equity; Capacity to lead comprehensive planning, fund-raising, budget management, and total athletic success
- Demonstration of commitment to academic and fiscal integrity; Effective executive level experience managing and leading fully compliant organization-wide athletics/student affairs operations
- Proven leadership skills – both soft and hard skills must be demonstrable; Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form; strong writing skills essential as open communications is a part of our culture
- Experience in negotiating and maintaining vendor contracts; Strong proven project management skills, power user of spreadsheet and project management software
- Possess a deft touch at managing people – ability to both develop them and hold them accountable; Possess strong analytical skills - desire and ability to use data for decision making – maintain a metrics-based organization (again – this is part of our culture)
- Enthusiastic about the use of technology to improve everything we do; Proven experience at working in a collaborative matrix environment where individuals and teams are reliant upon each other for their collective success regardless of reporting structure
As a member of our Post University team, the individual will share in a 120-year tradition of helping people achieve their personal and professional goals. Located in Waterbury, Connecticut, Post University has a vibrant campus and an excellent online program. The University offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental, 401(k) and tuition benefits.
Interested candidates should forward cover letter, resume, and three references to Post University Human Resources.
*****All files must be saved as one document before uploading to our database*****
Disclaimer: This opportunity may be withdrawn and/or amended.
POST UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER that employs in compliance with all applicable laws. We do not discriminate because of sex, sexual orientation, age, race, color, religious creed, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability, handicap or other legally protected status. Equal access to programs, service and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and job interview process should notify the Director of Human Resources, Post University.